virgoreader

giving you book recommendations that'll brighten your day

What to Read Next

My New Bookshelves

When I bought my wood-and-metal bookcase in 2020 I really didn't foresee myself filling it so quickly and running out of room. By January 2021 it was overflowing and I got rid of almost 100 books (giving them away and putting together mystery boxes for my Instagram followers), and it worked for a while... until I put in a wall of bookshelves in my living room, continued accumulating books, and again ran out of room. 

I decided to sell my bookcase, because while I liked it, it didn't maximize the space in the corner of my bedroom. I wanted something more floor to ceiling and debated between an Expedit from Ikea (not tall enough), floating shelves, and rail shelves.

After a bit of debating, I decided to go with rail shelves over floating shelves. That way I could change the height of the shelves as needed - also I've had some bad luck with floating shelves and wasn't sure I could make sure it was as sturdy as it needed to be.

Here's a quick run through of how I planned and executed these new shelves:

  1. Measure the area where you will put the shelves and decide how many shelves you want and at what heights; I marked mine with masking tape
  2. Determine what supplies you will need: how many rail supports, shelves, and shelf brackets. I bought all of mine from Home Depot (the Rubbermaid line). I chose to get a 72" shelf and cut it myself with my miter saw for one 20" piece and one 52" piece, for a very small "L" shaped corner shelf. I got 2 rail shelves for my 20" piece and 4 for my 52" piece
  3. Find studs and attach the rail supports to the walls. This was the HARDEST part for me. I have a stud finder but I'm pretty hopeless with it, so I actually outsourced this to a local handyman and I'm so glad I did. Some studs are kind of diagonal so he was able to angle the screws to hit it exactly and I felt good knowing the supports were all super secure. He had me put a shelf on to test and had me hang off of it to show how sturdy it was
  4. Attach shelf brackets - make sure you get the twin track brackets NOT the single track bracket. Yes, I bought the single track brackets first and had to return and exchange 50+
  5. Put on the shelves. This is the easy part! If you're going to cut a bigger shelf down like I did, make some kind of template to ensure each shelf is the same size. Also remember to cut them so the cut side isn't "outward facing"
I'm still figuring out exactly how to organize my books (my tried and true "vertical rainbow" isn't quite doing it for me) but I love this new look!

Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *